About Rick Matthews
Rick Matthews is an award winning photographer with a passion for world travel and outdoor adventure, both of which are evident in his photography.
Rick’s art photography is currently represented at Sidestreet Gallery in Wellington. His coffee table book, ‘Images‘, is a stunning collection of photographs from around the world.
His photography has been selected for numerous juried shows including the prestigious Art in the County and Art of Flight in Prince Edward County, the Art Gallery of Hamilton and the Parrott Gallery in Belleville.
Recognized as one of the top water sports photographers in North America, Rick was the official photographer for the World Europe Class Sailing Championships held in Hamilton and for Rapid Media at the World’s Freestyle Kayak Championships in Spain and the World Slalom Championships in Maryland.
His images have appeared on the covers of such publications as Adventure Kayak, Rapid, Canoeroots, Kanawa, and Paddler. His commercial clients include Delta Kayaks, Bluewater Canoes, Formula Kayaks, Werner and Aqua-Bound Paddles, Evergreen Canoes and Salus Marine Wear. His unique ability to capture images of people at work and play has lead to special projects with clients such as teacher federations and book publishers.
Rick has won numerous awards both locally and nationally. These include awards such as:
- Outstanding Achievement Award in the Fujifilm Canada Professional Photography Challenge
- Three time winner in Kanawa Magazine’s Canada-wide photography competition
- 2nd and 3rd place winner of Parks Canada – Heritage Rivers photography contest
- 1st place winner of CLIC, Eastern Ontario Photography Show, Black and White category
- Two time winner of People’s Choice Award at CLIC, Eastern Ontario Photography Show